Re: New form of rail transportation

Alex Pout <alpout@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>I'm not sure that extending the trams along Burwood Hwy would be that
>beneficial.  It's been a while since I've been down there, but I can't
>really remember there being a lot of room in the median for it to be placed.
>Of course, I could be mistaken, but on the other hand, trams from there to
>the city would take too long to be competitive with either cars or trains
>along the Belgrave or GW lines.

The point is not that people would take the tram all the way into the city
from Knox.  The tram would rather serve intermediate destinations.  There are
large numbers of people going from Knox to East Burwood, East Burwood to
Burwood and Hartwell and vice versa.  This is a major radial corridor and has
the traveller numbers to justify a tram service.

TM