Cane: Tramways or Railways?

 > Not true. Generally speaking, a tram is a rail mounted vehicle that can
> operate without a government approved safeworking system. This is why the
> North Queensland cane industry runs "trams", not "trains". This is true
for
> any other type of industrial tramway, whose primary haulage is not
> passengers

Re cane haulers, I'm not sure whether they are still referred to as tramways
or not...
I do know that the "Tramway Crossing" signs in the Bundaberg area (at least)
have been replaced
with "Railway Crossing" signs.
I was told this was because of confusion from southern tourists with street
trams, but that could have
been bog-standard anti-victorian propaganda.... :-)

Remember, Silverton was a tramway, and I would assume that they would have
HAD to use
safeworking....

--
John McCandless