Re: Bus-train integration (was Free Ride (Victoria))

Anthony Morton wrote:
> snip
>
> The best way to settle the question of where to put a tram route is to first
> run a high-standard bus service (with frequencies and hours of operation
> appropriate to a fixed rail service), fine-tune the route in response to
> passenger feedback once patronage builds up, and finally upgrade the bus route
> to a tram route.  (I note this bears no resemblance to what was done with the
> SLR, which makes me pessimistic for its viability.)
>

> As for overtaking - I've been on buses in Oxford St and Pitt St in Sydney and
> it's an absolute nightmare.  Swanston St in Melbourne is serene by comparison.

The question of the viability of the SLR is really related to the
activity of our pathetic Minister for Public Transport, the ROADS
MINISTER Carl (it's not my fault that public transport is not working)
Scully.

He is using the originally State Government approved city loop for the
SLR as a pawn in his policy of granting the roads lobby its every wish
by saying that the city loop cannot go ahead until the cross city road
tunnel is built.  This blackmail which makes improved public transport
beholden to further road expansion is totally reprehensible but does he
care?

Chris