Re: Bus-train integration (was Free Ride (Victoria))

Bradley Torr wrote:

> Are there any special "T-signals" in operation anywhere in Melbourne? I know
> they use them extensively on that huge 400-metre on-road section of the
> SLR... ;-)

Yes, lots of them, but they don't necessarily work to speed up the tram
service. Many ordinary traffic lights can also be kept green by a
transponder from the tram which in theory should speed the service. And
at many intersections there is a right-turn arrow for rubber-tyred
traffic which is designed to clear right-turning cars quickly out of the
way of trams so the trams don't get stuck behind a row of right-turning
cars.

All this is the theory, anyway. Much more could be done to speed
Melbourne's tram services.

--
David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand

Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?