Re: [Melb] Major problems on the Husrtbridge Line

> >Damn trees..........as much as I like green space I hate when mother
> >nature blocked trains....
> >
> >> They started the day with no trains running in the Hurstbridge -
> >> Clifton Hill section with some buses running, but I understand by the
> >> morning peak they were running about 50% of the up trains from Eltham
> >> and Greensborough.
>
> Word from the 131-MET (bet no-one ever knew that one) info line was, by
> about 11am, that they were running 3 down trains, then 3 up trains, until
> the problem was fixed. Just to think, if Heidelberg still had mechanical
> interlocking, this wouldn't have been a problem (-: DCK on the other
> hand...
>
> Anyway, I improvised. Normal pattern is train GRY-FSS then FSS-IVA, today
> it was train GRY-ESD and bus ESD-IVA (Route 510). This route is a perfect
> example of what a bus service should be. Doesn't compete with railways at
> all, and gets a person cross country from Essendon to Ivanhoe in about 45
> minutes, all while providing a basic feeder service for four railway lines.
>
> Still prefer trains when available though.

>From the Hillside Website:

DELAYS ON HURSTBRIDGE LINE

Repairs have been completed at Heidelberg to signals damaged by
lightning strikes.

However, delays of up 10 minutes can be expected during tonight's
evening peak period and nighttime services.

The lightning strike at 1am caused major damage to the signals and
communications networks at Heidelberg. Then around 4am another lightning
strike at Diamond Creek caused a total loss of power. The repairs at
Diamond Creek were completed just after 7am.

We attempted to arrange for replacement buses, but as most buses are
committed to commuter and school runs, only a handful could be obtained.

Hillside Trains apologises to passengers inconvenienced today. Your
journey times were extended due to safety requirements, which allowed
trains to operate but at slower speeds, until the repairs were
completed.

--

Chris Gordon

http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig