Re: Austrac requires drivers

In article <8gt3ug$b04$1@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au> "Stuart Thyer" <s.thyer@anatomy.unimelb.edu.au> writes:
>From: "Stuart Thyer" <s.thyer@anatomy.unimelb.edu.au>
>Subject: Re: Austrac requires drivers
>Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 16:50:27 +1000

>----------
>In article <jZnY4.14$KR2.1575@vic.nntp.telstra.net>, "Thommo"
><mjthom@hdc.net.au> wrote:

>>For anyone who is interested Austrac advertised for drivers in Saturdays
>>Border Mail.  The Add reads: Train Drivers (casual or Full-Time): Austrac
>>Rail Limited are seeking applications from suitably qualified crew personnel
>>to work their trains.

>So is NRC Melbourne, they need 5 drivers, qualified. I don't know if ATN in
>Melbourne is looking too. Where the hell do these companies think new
>drivers come from, no-one is training any more, all the operators are
>suffering shortages of qualified crews. All the companies are waiting for
>another company to crack and train people so they can go and poach them.

>Stuart Thyer
>Photographer
>University of Melbourne

I guess the obvious question is how big is the pool of potential drivers that
fit the above requirements , ie road knowledge to Melb plus the Riverina.
I would guess not many.
Are we also going to see scenerios where drivers who have wide road knowledge
will be in high demand ,and thus command big salaries.
How much does it cost to fully train a driver with wide road knowledge?
Heaps I expect.

MD