Re: Catchpoints - what are they?

They are quite common in the Sydney Metripolitan Rail System. On the main
north line between Strathfield and Hornsby alone, I know of at least 3, plus
many derailment devices used to derail trains.

As far as I am aware, they are rarely put on the main lines - they are put
in sidings, loops etc to ensure runaway rollingstock does not block the
main. They are not always successful though. 3826 and an AD60 garrat were
both scrapped after the 38 sideswiped the derailed garrat which had not
stopped before the main.

There are frequent occurences where catch points cause derailments in NSW.
The Junee Roundhouse 50th celebrations were marred by such an event. Usually
though, catchpoints cause little damage, and prevent possible disaster.

Brendan