Re: Catchpoints - what are they?

Bradley Torr wrote:

> Could someone please explain to me what 'catchpoints' are, what they look
> like, and what purpose they serve?

They are a set of facing points designed to deliberately derail a rail
vehicle if it attempts to go through a stop signal or some other danger.

I'm not familiar with how common they are on railways (where a
derailment deliberate or otherwise can be extremely serious for the
occupants of the train) but I do know they are common on tramways.

Melbourne has tram catchpoints at the various locations where tram
tracks cross railway lines at level crossings, and the points are set
when the train boom gates come down, to derail into the gutter any tram
which proceeds towards the level crossing if a train is approaching.

--
David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand

Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?