Re: ATN arrives in Melbourne - first photos

Hi Yuri
9692 was put away at McIntrye as usual last night, and it was too dark to
take any photos, but I did walk over the site. The rail is second hand 95
lb. and is in two continuous lengths and appears to have been dragged up
from the Albion end extension that used to service BHP.
The bridge timbers and all intact sleepers, plates and dog spikes have also
been recovered.
The track has been dragged at 45 deg. to no 3 Rd and stops at the access
bitumen road, and seems aimed at a large shed across that road, which is
missing the front panels. Perhaps it was easier to drag it in that way, but
it would make sense to use an existing building if one was available.
             The L is indeed in the RTS shed, which was securely locked last
night.
Noted new wheels fitted to it. Victorian Radios will need to be fitted, and
ASW equipment, probably there at the shed. Drivers are already employed, and
awaiting the arrival of suitable rolling stock.
The locomotives do not appear to be much modified, and I am not sure that
they are sound proofed or air conditioned. They will ride badly in Victoria,
just like they did 20 years ago.
Nice Paint though!

--

Rod Young