Re: Steam Locos

Anthony Katon wrote:

> Somewhere between the years 1969 and 1975 two steam locos were
> moved from "Hardies siding" on the Sandown branch (Sydney).
> This line was disconected at the time and the Enfield breakdown
> crew were used to move these locos onto the branch line. I was
> on a loco passing this spot during the operation. I would like to
> know if anyone out there has any information as to the number of
> these locos and there whereabouts today.

The date would have been Monday 20th November 1978 and the loco 3016.

Page 22 of the January 1979 issue of the ARHS Railway Digest says that
steam loco 3016T (a 4-6-0 tender loco) had been stored on the
truncated Goodyear siding on the Sandown branch for a couple of years.
It was originally sold to Parramatta Rotary Club, but was purchased in
late 1978 by the Australian Railway Historical Society (ACT Division).
It was removed from the siding by jacking it across to the Sandown
branch mid morning of Monday 20/11/78. It is now at ARHS (ACT Divn)
railway museum in Kingston, ACT.

There is also a photo of 3016T on page 59 of the May/June 1975 issue
of The Railway News sitting in a private siding near Camellia. It is
the same location and same loco, but the photo caption has been
incorrectly captioned as of 3102T.

I am not sure what the other loco was. Are you sure that there was two
locos there?

The only other steam loco with an uncertain future at the time was
1904. Since closure of Enfield Steam Depot it had always been stored
at Delec. It was resold to the Dorrigo Steam Railway & Museum in 1979.
It is now in Dorrigo.

Rob