[vic] ABC story #3 re Bairsnsdale train

This Bulletin: Thu, 25 May 2000 13:32 AEST

LOCAL NEWS : Gippsland

East Gippsland to get freight trains back

East Gippsland's freight train service is being reinstated.

The private company that reopened the old Sale to Hillside line last year,
is fixing the nine kilometres of disused line between Hillside and
Bairnsdale.

Freight Australia's Marinus Van Onselen says the project will boost the
region's transport links with state, national and export markets.

"The primary reason is that our Gippsland initiative with stakes in the
timber industry has been particularly successful," he said.

"And from our relatively small beginning late last year, we're now at a
situation where we will probably move in excess of 600 tonnes of logs a day
and it's appropriate to extend the activity all the way to Bairnsdale.

Welcomed

News of the freight train service to Bairnsdale has been welcomed by the
community group lobbying for a return of passenger train services to the
area.

The Save our Train group's Liz Munro says it has strengthened the case which
will be taken to government next week.

"Well it means two things. One is that it would cost very little to
reinstate the passenger service to Bairnsdale, but it also means that the
actual cost of running the train to Bairnsdale is going to be offset to some
extent by the freight service," she said.

© 2000 Australian Broadcasting Corporation