Re: New questions for rail experts

> > If you have enough train stops, overlap, and prove the train is going
> > slower than the correct speed (as outline above, and Melbourne has
> > something Similar in the City Loop, at Kooyong, Gardner for the
> > tram/train level crossings, Ringwood, Heidelberg, Cheltenham, and maybe
> > a few others) then there is no need for catch points on the main line.
>
> What protection will trains not fitted with trips have?

Either a second person, or they rely on one person to be alert (XPT,
endeavor, explorer, sprinter, and other train with one person
operation). I think putting all the safety on one person with no other
protection expect dead man's handle is not safe.

As I said in another posting, either these train should be fitted with
trips, or they have a second person.  (That was the original plan in
Melbourne way back in about 1915 when the overhead was planned and going
in, either trip protection, or a second person).

My point is that now the second person has been removed from the cab, it
is time to fit these trains with trip protection.

Would you be against fitting the XPT, endeavor, explorer, sprinter,
diesels etc... with trip arms?  (Track machines already operate under
special rules in Victoria, so they don't need them).  What is the
protection for hi-rails?

--

Chris Gordon

http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig