Re: New questions for rail experts

> > > Endeavours? XPT's? Xplorers? 620's?
> >
> > Yep, I think they should be fitted with trip arms.
> >
> > But I suppose you do have a guard in these cases, so if he/she is alert
> > and notices the train going down the wrong line, through a red signal
> > etc.. then he/she should "pull the tap" and stop the train.
>
> XPTs and Xplorers do not have guards.  The only person on the train with
> safeworking qualifications is the driver.  The PSS only knows how to protect the
> rear of the train.

Then why can't they be fitted with trip arms.  The same in Melbourne
with Sprinters, and driver only operated trains.  Why can't they be
fitted with trip arms?

Then you get the problem of signals not fitted with train stops, like
when sparks ran past Pakenham there are no train stops.  But now the
only sparks that go beyond Pakenham are for brake tests.  I am sure
there are plenty of places in Sydney that don't have train stops fitted
where electric trains run.

In Victoria it is along the lines of "Electric trains have trip arms,
and country trains have a second person". Maybe it is time they updated
this in Victoria, at least in Melbourne where goods, sprinters, and
passenger train follow sparks closely.  (At least in the country the
train are further apart)

I think a few more safety measures could be fitted to all railways in
Australia to make them a bit safer. (Trip arms on non electric trains,
and more train stops where electric train run which currently have no
trains stops)

--

Chris Gordon

http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig