Re: [Qld/WA] QR SMU go to Transperth??

RODS wrote:

> > > Wasn't Platform 3 at South Brisbane dual guage before the guages were
> > > separated into two tracks in that area last year??

> > Nope - platform 3 at South Brisbane was never dual guage.

> Hmmmm. Could have sworn that is was (dual guage) until last year. I have
> memories of looking down at the track - time can do funny things to
> memories.

The dual guage seperates into standard and narrow guage just before and
after platform three. There's a groovy whee set of point-like things on
the Roma Street side of South Brisbane where the dual gauge rail swaps
sides.

> What was the setup when South Brisbane was the terminus for long distance
> trains from points south (prior to the Merivale Bridge)? Was Platform 3
> standard gauge in those days?

No - there was also a platform five and six, then a small goods yard,
and then the interstate terminal on the Merivale street side. Platforms
five and six survived up untill the coming of the Roma Steet transit
center and Expo 88.

> RODS

Rob K