Re: [NSW] Drama @ the Airport Line...

In article <BUsW4.27$ze6.3727@nsw.nnrp.telstra.net>,
HXP1 <hxp1@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>Ben <sporologist@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>I have been told when there is a signal fault on the Airport Line, the
>fitters travel by train to the fault, the train then waits until the fault
>is cleared, and the fitters then travel out on the same train.  Something to
>do with insufficient clearances in the tunnel for people to work while
>trains are running.
>
>Is this true?

 The line has no 'refuges' for track workers to hide away in. I notice
the stations all have a sign at the end stating 'No entry, no train warning
lights fitted. Insuffcient clearance' and a picture of a train profile
against the tunnel profile.

 No maintaince staff can enter the tunnels while in operation. Running
a train to carry signal fitters to the problem site and then waiting for
them to fix the problem and carrying them out again is probably the only
and safest way of doing it.

 Do the fitters take the drivers key so he can't move the train on them until
they get back on board ?. If I was in that position I would be tending to want
some 'token' that meant the driver couldn't have some brain fad and then run
me over.