Re: Alstom for Hillside/Yarra tram [Melbourne Aust]

> > >I have never really been able to work out what the 4D is from the
> > >newsgroup. Is it the sole (Sydney style) Tangara train in Melbourne, or
> > >what?
> >
> > In basic terms it's a Tangara with different dimensions, mainly to fit
> > within the Victorian loading guage. Many parts between the two should be
> > interchangable (seats, traction equipment, probably not windows on account
> > of size differences). Even though it required new equipment for
> > manufacture, it's designed to look like and function like the Tangara.
> > Pedants will say "but it's not a Tangara!!" - true it isn't.
> >
> > Does that explain it? (:
>
> Sort of. Thanks.
>
> When I was a small kid in Melbourne, 4D was the route number of the
> Carnegie tram line, but that was changed to 67 while I was at school.
>
> My next question should be "what is a Tangara? The double-deck trains in
> Sydney?"

Please do not start the 4D - Tangara crap again. (aimed at the Sydney
people waiting to hijack this).

For a photo of the 4D have a look at:
http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig/gallery/melb-metro/4d.jpg

With a Tangara you can't see the wheels like the 4D (because the BG
bogies are too wide).

--

Chris Gordon

http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig