Re: Just wondering: why is East Hills East Hills?

I cannot answer your question but there were some name changes applied to
the East Hills line stations from what was originally proposed. I have an
old map of Sydney by Craigie's which dates from probably the late 1920's
(before the Cronulla line was built and shows the East Hills line as a
dotted line (against continuous line for the lines already opened).
This shows the following station names:
Nioka (now Panania)
Saltpan (opened as Hearn Bay and changed to Riverwood in the 1960's??)
Podmore (Narwee)
Dumbleton (Beverly Hills)
Bexley (Bexley North)
Earlwood (Bardwell Park)
Hearn Bay (or was it Herne Bay?) was changed because of the so called stigma
from the migrant hostel. Why the others changed, I don't know. Maybe someone
can throw some light on it.
Were map makers Craigie have educated guesses or what! I have seen a copy of
NSWGR's station names book (I don't have access to it now and some of the
above names may have applied from the opening of the line.
All I can say is that Beverly Hills sounds much more glamorous than
Dumbleton!
Roger Lloyd
K=coOc7QEvjglolyXlM9BdRklJnW@4ax.com">news:K=coOc7QEvjglolyXlM9BdRklJnW@4ax.com...