Re: Just wondering: why is East Hills East Hills?

On Mon, 22 May 2000 21:18:44 +1000, "Roger Lloyd"
<rogerlloyd@optusnet.com.au.nospam> wrote:

>I cannot answer your question but there were some name changes applied to
>the East Hills line stations from what was originally proposed. I have an
>old map of Sydney by Craigie's which dates from probably the late 1920's
>(before the Cronulla line was built and shows the East Hills line as a
>dotted line (against continuous line for the lines already opened).
>This shows the following station names:
>Nioka (now Panania)
>Saltpan (opened as Hearn Bay and changed to Riverwood in the 1960's??)
>Podmore (Narwee)
>Dumbleton (Beverly Hills)
>Bexley (Bexley North)
>Earlwood (Bardwell Park)
>Hearn Bay (or was it Herne Bay?) was changed because of the so called stigma
>from the migrant hostel. Why the others changed, I don't know. Maybe someone
>can throw some light on it.
>Were map makers Craigie have educated guesses or what! I have seen a copy of
>NSWGR's station names book (I don't have access to it now and some of the
>above names may have applied from the opening of the line.
>All I can say is that Beverly Hills sounds much more glamorous than
>Dumbleton!
>Roger Lloyd
>Deeg <galtfd@att.net> wrote in message
>K=coOc7QEvjglolyXlM9BdRklJnW@4ax.com">news:K=coOc7QEvjglolyXlM9BdRklJnW@4ax.com...
>> I've wondered for decades but never had anybody to ask: How did East
>> Hills get its name? It isn't all that terribly hilly and was long the
>> western terminus of a railway line. About the only think I can see
>> that it is east of is a bend in the Georges River.
>>
>> Answer this and I can go to my grave satisfied.
>>
>> Don Galt

There used to be a REALLY old west line timetable at Richmond station
(in the SM's office. Don't know if it's still there. St Marys was
called South Creek.

Also a few years ago someone wanted to change the name of Mt Druitt to
Rupertswood. I think I prefer to say I climbed Mt Druitt.

paul x is the spam filter