Re: Just wondering: why is East Hills East Hills?

On Mon, 22 May 2000 19:41:38 +1000, "Bob Merchant"
<bob.merchant@bigpond.com> wrote:

>"Probably named after a number of towns in England, ther area being slightly
>hilly and east of Liverpool."

Hmmm. No doubt correct, but hardly satisfying! It might be more
convincing if there were any indication that there had ever been
direct communication between Liverpool and East Hills.

At least it's a useful reminder that not always everything in NSW is
defined with reference to Sydney.

Does the book say when the name was bestowed? And which came first,
the village or the railway? I mean, if the railway stopped short of
the river, planted a station and named it East Hills with an eye to
Liverpool, then somehow they took a wrong turn, wouldn't you say?

Unless there was a village of that name before the area was opened up
for development, I'd say it looks like promoters grasping for names.

Anyway, thanks for the prompt and informative reply.

Don Galt
Seattle USA