Re: Just wondering: why is East Hills East Hills?

Well I've just looked at The Book of Sydney Suburbs by Frances Pollon and
this is what it has to say:

The name of this suburb on the northern shores of the Georges River was
first applied to the whole area between The River Road, running south from
Bankstown, and the river; it was first mentioned in the Sydney Gazette in
1810.  George Johnston junior (1790-1820) received 500 acres here as a grant
in 1804, which he called New Jerusalem.  It covered an area west of the
present River Road, between Bansgrove and Tompson Streets.  His tenant
farmer, Robert Gardiner, called his farm East Hills, perhaps after the
region of that name near Liverpool in England.  In 1828 Thomas Graham was
promised 640 acres south of Johnston's and in 1835 he sold it to Charles
Tompson.  The area to the West was bought by George Nicholas Weston in 1837.
All of the area was heavily timbered and, although it was all alienated by
about 1840, it remained sparsely occupied until the end of the century.  In
1893 the area of the former Johnston and Weston grants (bounded
approximately by The River Road and Tower, Weston and Polo Streets, now in
Panania and Revesby_ was subdivided and named East Hills after the farm.
The name was also given to the station at the end of the line when the
railway came through in 1931.

Did you want to know all that?

Regards

Jane