Re: SLR - Extension construction

In article <ikqeis41r1mb6r70p755odh4r48hp8hnpm@4ax.com>,
Bill Bolton <billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org> wrote:
>matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au (Matthew Geier) wrote:
>
>>  Work is comming along very quickly, overhead wires are now rapidly heading
>> west.
>
>As of this morning (Sunday 21st) trolley wire is up to beyond the
>Johnson St bridge at Annadale, though it looked like it wasn't fully
>tensioned yet.  The framework for the steps from the sidewalk to the
>platform at the stop just east of Glebe tunnel was also in place

 That wire ran as a single run to about where Brennan St and Railway Pde
Annadale meet. From there to Catherine St station looks to be the next
wire section. When I walked the line, they were fixing  the wire at Rozelle
Bay station and it was still on pulleys to the end.

 It does not look like they are using a catenary system, just a tensioned
trolley wire. I presume this is to reduce visual impact, although the
extra poles needed for that style and the un-subtle masts attached to
the truss overbridges are far from non visual.

 I also can't see any evidence yet of substations. The voltage drop from
the Fish Markets substation would be rather high along that length of
wire.
 Of course they may be building the substations off site, and they will arive
almost complete and be dropped onto foundations cast the week before the
substations arrive. They will need at least 2, possibly 3 substations.
With no catenary wire, the voltage drop situation is will be worse.

 I've got the whole lot of my photos up now.

 Of interest is Catherine St station. Its obviously designed to be simply
converted to an island platform later. It has 2 platform faces, with one
side obviously intended to be fenced off for now, but easly restored later.