Re: SLR - Extension construction

In article <3927168f$0$2622@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
Rod Young <freight_man@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Matthew Geier <matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote in message
>8g5tvn$t6t$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au">news:8g5tvn$t6t$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au...

>>  The strangest item seen however is a 'home brew' locomotive the
>contractors
>> are using on ballast trains.
>>  Inspired by Vlines RTL I assume.
>>
>> See
>> "http://www.sleeper.apana.org.au/railway/slr/images/Extension
>Mathew, Hi,
>                 can you tell me how that RTL truck is working.
>How many loaded ballast does it haul?

 Well the first I saw of it was at Jubilee Park station, idle. It had
4 balast hoppers. There were 2 empties waiting at the 'exchange' siding near
the Rozelle Yard signal box.

 The Darling Harbour goods line is almost flat, I assume some drivers in this
list might remember the grades from when they had to work trains on the line,
but to my untrained eye it might as well be flat.

> up hills etc
>does it use rubber tyres for traction? it looks as if it does

 It appeared to.

>and do they drive it on the road as is? other words do they need to lighten
>it to reduce its wheel weights.

 As it stands I dont think they could. It only had 1 each of its dual rear
tyres with exposed empty rims showing. I rather suspect the RTA might not
consider it road-worthy. With 4 missing tyers and the ballast over the rear
I suspect it will be to heavy. Certainly to heavy for wandering around the
backstreets of Glebe/Annandale.