Re: [QLD] Brisbane Airport Rail Link

I don't understand what QR's problem with the light rail proposals is.
The four proposed suburban extensions of Brisbane Light Rail were to
Garden City, Capalaba, Chermside and Indooroopilly.  Of these, only the
Indooroopilly extension would be in direct competition with QR, and to
avoid this should be routed via West End and St Lucia / Uni of QLD.

The other extensions (to Garden City, Capalaba and Chermside) are
roughly equivalent to three of Brisbane's original tram lines (yes - I
know the Mt Gravatt line didn't quite reach Garden City, nor did the
Carina/Belmont line ever get to Capalaba).  There's no way you could
ever consider these three proposed LRT lines as competing with QR.

I don't think it would be sensible to convert two of the tracks via
Milton to LRT - Citytrain has limited enough track capacity already
without removing any - it would seem particularly silly given the huge
investment on quadruplication to Northgate and triplication to Lawnton.

--Colin