Re: SLR - Extension construction

Matthew Geier <matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote in message
8g5tvn$t6t$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au">news:8g5tvn$t6t$1@metro.ucc.usyd.edu.au...

> Work is comming along very quickly, overhead wires are now rapidly heading
> west.

>  The strangest item seen however is a 'home brew' locomotive the
contractors
> are using on balast trains.
>  Inspired by Vlines RTL I assume.

This critter comes from South Australia originally.  I first saw it at
Ausrail 9x (can't remember the year) in Melbourne, it was on display at
Spencer St platform 1 along with the GSPE, an NR, and a gizmo that you drive
a fork lift onto to convert it into a shunting vehicle.

Readers of the trade press may recall the AH plant ad.  They now own it.

> See
> "http://www.sleeper.apana.org.au/railway/slr/images/Extension
Construction/05_May/dscn2622.jpg"
> (And image 2623 as well)

>  Are light locomotives (like 73 class) now so rare that railway
contractors are
> modifying trucks ?. The truck is balasted, under the compressor is a stack
of
> rails....

Possibly they find the RTL style of vehicle more flexible as it can derail
and drive around to another part of the worksite without disturbing work in
the middle.

Plus it's handy for driving through the McChuck's drive through.  Can't do
that with a 73. |-)

--
HXP1
(now with v6.08 software)