RTM NSW Kandos Train 20/5 Report

Today (20/5), 4201/44211 ran to Kandos on an NSWRTM tour.  I thought I'd
give my car a run and go for a drive.......

My original plan was to see the train crossed by the Central West XPT at
Penrith and then follow the train west. However, the centre of Penrith was
very foggy so I gave that idea a miss and decided to get ahead of the XPT
and the Tour Train.

Nothing of rail interest was seen in the mountains before my first photo
stop just west of Mt Victoria (on the Darling Causeway). I thought I might
see some work trains as buses replaced CityRail trains between Mt Vic and
Lithgow. The only evidence of any work in the Mt Vic - Bell section (apart
from me deciding where to stop) was the now traditional worksite protection
fencing.

After waiting half an hour (basically my head start on WT27), the XPT
appeared with the Sydney 2000 car trailing. I then had a good thought about
the viaducts just west of Lithgow which became my next destination as I
jumped into the car. While driving along the Bells Line of Road, I crossed
the main west line and saw WT27 again (obviously running under caution due
to the trackwork).

On arrival at the viaduct on the highway on the Bathurst bound side (near
Lithgow jail), I prepared myself for a short wait for WT27 which duly passed
by at higher speed than the last two times I'd seen it today, obviously
clear of the trackwork induced speed restrictions. After this, it was time
to wait for the tour train (which would slower than WT27) in a new spot near
the Farmers Creek twin viaducts. Rather than have to contend with highway
traffic zooming past me for 30 or so minutes, I found a spot off the highway
with allowed views of the creek, the two viaducts and the train, which
arrived with both locos sounding great, 4201 leading.

It was then time for me to head further west towards Kandos (unchartered
waters so to speak for me). I knew that I would beat the train because of
the state of some of the line and the open road ahead of me. Despite this, I
almost found myself donating to the Lithgow Highway Patrol without even
realising whilst on the Mudgee Road (lucky I backed off when I saw him, 135
in a 100 zone would not have been good on the clean driving record!)

Arrival at Kandos was right on lunchtime and I was disappointed to find no
name plate at the station (the building was in relatively good condition but
the track was not. I could see excatvating occurring around approximately
every 3rd sleeper).

Due to the surrounds of the station and the fact that it was on a curve not
to my liking relative to the train (and the fact there is no runaround
facilities at the station), I had to decide on an alternative spot for good
pics. I then found the approach to the Cement siding was a good spot next to
the disused turntable. The noise of the two locos soon  disturbed the
country peace and quiet as the train approached the siding. A cast of (it
seemed in comparison to the people on the train) thousands clad in safety
vests left the train to shunt the train and run the locos around. I took
this as my cue to leave and try and find another spot, which I did just
before the station. I then asked the crew about the return journey, planning
a night shot at Penrith with some 800 speed (it was due at 2215).

After several shots of the train reversing into the station, I thought it
was time to leave and head for home as the train was due to stay at Kandos
until 5pm. After a nice comfortable drive home, I had planned to see and
photograph the train on arrival at Penrith at 2215. In what must be a first,
the train arrived around 30 minutes early as I was leaving home to drive to
the station (I can hear freight trains but not passenger trains from my
house). A quick phone call to the station confirmed this.

All in all, it was a good day passenger train gunzel wise. Full credit must
go to the RTM for the presentation and the performance of the train (pics on
my website Monday!)

Eric
http://www.erk.au.com/erktrans/
(new direct URL for my Transport site)

All cows on or near the running line need to
to have a Track Safety Awareness
Certificate and an approved safety
vest when on or near the line.