Re: V set transfer (repost)

Michael Kurkowski wrote:

> With such an early start to the day, one couldn't help but get a lowly
> feeling that all efforts of getting out of bed on a freezing morning would
> all go to waste. Usually, the first train to Ballarat is a Sprinter
> service, but not today. It was a loco hauled (bonus) FN set (bonus). This
> meant that there wasn't going to to be any gunzels hanging off the roof,
> couplings and bogies with some left behind because you can't fit too many
> in a Sprinter. As it became apparent later on in this morning, the turnout
> wasn't as high as I expected. Many more people spent the trip motorcading -
> How many of these paid for a ticket?

I can't stand the motorcaders who never buy a ticket for these trips or
do some sort of volunteer labour for the societies. They get the
benefits of seeing steam locomotives and historic rolling stock in
action but they contribute very little to the societies who maintain
them. Although I motorcade some trains, I also book on quite a few.

> Finally, after much mucking around we left Maryborough late. Schedule wise,
> things went downhill, fast. Arriving at Castlemaine/Maryborough junction,
> we got the news that the controller wanted to path a pass in front of us
> "just in case". As a result, we witnessed the up train, that many of the
> railfans were going to catch fly past, having already left Castlemaine.
> Many were disappointed. We finally ended up in Castlemaine, and were told
> there was not hope of getting pathed in front of the pass, despite the fact
> we wouldn't delay it much. Controller on duty kept us there anyway. It was
> getting dark. Many wanted to get home. Personally, I was getting cold - But
> we'll blame a fast approaching Winter for that one.

Does anyone know what actually caused the late departure from
Maryborough? T413 and the WAL seemed to be sitting in the yard for a
very long time after the shuttle returned.

> In general, todays trip was excellent, and the hospitality provided by the
> onboard staff was exceptional (they know who they are :-)). The way things
> turned out in the end turned out to be a bit of a disaster for many, but
> didn't really bother me. I personally blame the PSR[1] system (thanks
> Jeff). I enjoyed the trip. However, out of interest, why were no photostops
> planned? Timetabling constraints?

I think the organisers did a reasonable job but was the delay at
Maryborough caused by the railways or the tour organisers? If it was
caused by the railway's then its a pity because at Castlemaine some
people were blaming the organisers for the stuff-up. Anyway, I had a
good trip yesterday but it was a pity there were no photostops. Soon
after leaving Creswick the person in the kiosk said there would be
photostops after Guildford. I'm guessing they cancelled them because of
the late running.

> But, most of all, and this made everyone
> happy, there was no headboard!

Except we couldn't enjoy it as much because there was no photostops :-(

This is what I think Steamrail should do with the headboard:

- Use it on tours like the Seymour Races charter yesterday. As most
Steamrail tours are charters or tourist style trips, they would still
get a similar level of advertising to what they have now.
- Either leave it at Newport or remove it at photostops on the odd
enthusiast trip they run. As there are so few of these types of tours
these days, it wouldn't impact their level of advertising significantly.

By leaving it on when they are running an enthusiast tour, they are only
shooting themselves in the foot. Yesterday, I heard a number of people
joking about Steamrail but you don't hear anyone joking about the ARE,
ARHS, WCR, SRHC or any other steam operator. If Steamrail at least
removed it at photostops then I'm sure this would change and they would
be taken a lot more seriously. Is it really that hard for Steamrail to
see what's happening? I'm not the only one who doesn't like it.

> There, if you NSW people came this far looking for stainless steel V sets,
> bad luck, there is none in this post. This is a Victorian post. Next month,
> we invade NSW with our V set![2] (-:

I agree, our V set is much better than those Yankee tin cans :-) <runs
for cover fast>

> [2] ARHS trip to Wakool in about mid June.

AFAIK they are just using the K and S cars from Melbourne when they go
over the border on this trip. :-(

--
- James Brook -

e-mail: