Re: Federal budget

In article <8fdtkt$e1a$1@nnrp1.deja.com> James C. <james_ccj@my-deja.com> writes:
>From: James C. <james_ccj@my-deja.com>
>Subject: Re: Federal budget
>Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 09:14:14 GMT

>In article <olnS4.552$1h5.432796@news0.optus.net.au>,
>  dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
>> James C. (james_ccj@my-deja.com) wrote:
>> > 15m can't get you many trams.
>>
>> That's actually $15 million out of Federation funding. There is other
>> state, local government and industry funding.
>>
>> > Speedrail funds????
>>
>> Decision to be made in July.
>>
>> > 3Billion$ required to bring railway up to scratch???
>>
>> Pardon me while I laugh uncontrollably. :)
>>
>> > Cityrail's high speed interurban lines funds????
>>
>> State government responsibility.
>>
>> > Mt Gambier line reopen funds???
>>
>> Rumoured to be being negotiated with matching industry funding.
>>
>> > Gold Coast line extension/Sunshine coast line funds???
>>
>> Queensland government responsibility. Watch the state budget for the
>GC
>> extension.
>>
>> kCheers
>> David
>Throw most of the responsibility to State and little money directly
>from the Federal government towards interstate tracks.....

>--
>Cheers

>James

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

I find it curious that every budget railfans cry out for more federal funding
for rail.
In general what they are really calling for is more federal funding for what
are State Govt owned railways.
(Arnt State Gov owned railways the responsibilities of the States,after all
it is the States that collect all the track access charges.)

Prior to 1992 and One Nation there was never any regular federal funding for
State owned railways in Federal Budgets,the Feds simply funded what was their
responsibility ie AN when it existed, and they have fully funded the creation
of ARTC.
If  you bothered to read the PCs final report it has recommended
substantial federal funding for rail ,BUT that such funding be conditional on
the States agreeing to the establishment of a one stop shop for rail access
and the establisment of a single National Track Manager.

Since certain states have totally refused to co operate with the Feds in
achieving either of these goals,then there is no funding for rail.

MD