No longer OT - CityRail Aftermath of [NSW] State of Origin

As mentioned earlier this thread, I went to Stadium Australia to see NSW
beat Queensland. Here is a rail report.

After completing some last mintue shopping at Parramatta, I was at the
station around 1715 plainning to go to Olympic Park. I thought that I would
have to change at Lidcombe for the Sprint. After checking the SPI Concourse
Indicator for the next Lidcombe train (the first Olympic Park direct service
was after 1800 according to the board), I headed to platform 1.

The next train was indicated visually and orally as going to Hornsby
stopping all to Lidcombe, Strathfield, Burwood, Redfern, all Hornsby.
Shortly after, a CSA advised that the train was diverting via Olympic Park
but still going to Hornsby. The train arrived and I boarded the now direct
service. By the time the train arrived at Clyde, it seemingly at been
transposed to stop all Olympic Park, Strathfield, Central, This was
confirmed at Lidcombe. Arrival at Olympic Park was on platform 3 (unusual
for a City train) with a light load leaving the train. The train then
departed not picking passengers up as there was a City train on platform 1

During the match, transport arrangements (train/bus) were flashed on the
screen and an announcement made (which was good). After the game, there were
announcements everywhere directing people to the station. The corralling
from the Stadium to the station directing people to the correct side was
working well. As I was in the first wave of people who left right on
fulltime (the crowd was 61500 approx btw), there were no crowds ahead.

800 ASA film & camera in hand, I was soon greeted by Bill (and later by
John)  who was also observing the trains (a few interested spectators did
also). I spent an interesting 30-45 minutes watching the trains come in,
load and leave again. This was the first time I'd seen this in action at
Olympic Park. All in all, the trains loaded well (more east than west) but
particuarly in the citybound direction, there was lots of room at the front
for people that was empty. As the crowd was less than expected, the crowd
cleared quicker than thought. Most of the trains were non Tangaras during my
stay. Hopefully the pics will work. The announcer was doing a good job
directing people around (but less references to "here" without telling us
where "here" is would be good.)

Eventually, I headed to Lidcombe for some pics and noted the plasma screens
and the new awnings under construction on platform 1 (that's what the box
things on the platform were for, neety). Of course the crowd had thinned out
because of the time spent at Olympic Park. This was demonstrated perfectly
by an 8 car T in Nightsafe mode on an all stations up service. I then headed
to Granville for more pics (including 4867/77 on a Clyde yard bound train
from CRT Yennora - I think - but the train left while I was setting up the
tripod. I'm sure the crew had a good laugh at my expense. Lucky for me I got
a couple of handheld shots before that) and the GTINSW to Penrith (which was
10' late). I finished off the roll as happy gunzel and football supporter.
--
Eric
http://www.erk.au.com