Re: Some ARTC Train control questions

Christopher_Martin GORDON <cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
news:8f14pn$m4m$1@mulga.cs.mu.OZ.AU...

> : I am trying to figure out where ARTCs train control boundaries are , ie
where
> : one ARTC controller hands over to another ,and how the various junctions
along
> : the way.
> : If anyone can fill in the gaps or make corrections it would be great.

> : 1/ Moonee Ponds Creek to Albury Sth,(who actually controls the points at
> : Tottenham Jnctn.?)

> ARTC controls points/signals (or ASW) for the SG all the way to the
flyover
> at North Melbourne now.  (No.1 Box controls the section from the Flyover
> to the passenger platforms, which a control release for the section
> over Dudley street from METROL and a release for train leaving SSS from
ARTC)

The nice panel for Moonee Ponds Ck Jct in Spencer St No. 1 Box only has one
lever now, operating (IIRC) the Signal for Down SG moves to enter the
Gauntlet Track.  The Signal for Up SG moves through the Gauntlet track (SST
183) is worked from the frame.

Tottenham Loop is controlled by the NE controller, BUT, the 'Metro'
Controller has 2 releases, the first to the NE controller allows the SG
junction points to be reversed, or, the second to Tottenham B Box to signal
BG moves through the area.  Messy.

> : 2/ Tottenham Jnct to Newport- Newport to Pyrenees Loop - Pyrenees Loop
> : Wolseley. (is this all one territory now,how are the junctions at
> : Maroona,Murtoa and Dimboola worked?)

> There are local panels at Dimbool and Murtoa which are released from ARTC
> then the local panels control the points and signals under the direction
> of Centrol and ARTC. (ARTC for main line, yard and branch line under
Centrol)

> Maroona I don't know the safeworking for, but I understand a signaller
needs
> to be there for train running to/from Portland otherwise no one is needed.

Maroona is a open/close location, when it is closed Maroona is a Block
Point.  The Signalling is a mish mash of non-interlocked practice, with
AFAIK hand operated TD84M's on the main line points, & some mechanical
signals remaining.

Rumour would have it the ARTC is looking at extending/moving the loop
towards Ararat slightly, & easing the horrible curve at the Up end.
Included would be conversion to full power operation, & remote control from
Adelaide.  i.e. a remote controlled loop in the middle of ASW territory.
Dunno what's happened recently, as this information was 412th hand a couple
of months ago.

> Tottenham Juct to Newport is Automatic Block Signalling controled by the
> ASW controlled at ARTC.

Another low budget mish mash.  Two position signals in the middle of three
position signals, ABS on the East line between Brooklyn & Newport, & Large
(IIRC) Electric Staff on the West line.

At Brooklyn the moves towards a 'ARTC' track are signalled from Adelaide,
but moves to a 'FA' track are signalled from Brooklyn.  Thus you get the
unusual situation of a 2 position braket post where the left hand light is
operated from Adelaide, but the right hand light is operated from the local
panel.

> The ASW controller at ARTC controls the ASW from Newport to Pyrenees Loop.

> The South Controller at ARTC controlls the CTC from Pyrenees Loop to Mile
End.

2 seperate workstations for each end.  The 'existing' system for Mile End to
Wolseley, and a (again IIRC) 'WestCAD' system for Pyrenees to Serviceton.
The Ericson telemetry for the CTC between Pyrenees & Serviceton first
dribbles back to Transport House Melbourne (dunno if it's still on the
Aerials between Ararat & Ballarat?) and then into a S2 system back to
Adelaide (via Telstra).

> : 3/ Wolseley to Mile End loop.

> South Controller.

> : triangles at Crystal Brook and Coonamia).
> : 5/ Coonamia Jnct to Pt Augusta - Pt Augusta - Spencer Jnct - Tarcoola ,
(is
> : this one territory?)

> No there is Metro control and North Control.  Not sure where the boundry
is
> since I went to ARTC during the day and Metro and North Control were under
> the same controller (light working).

The North end of Mile End North is probably the limit for Metro Control.

> : 6/ Tarcoola to Parkeston. (who controls the junction at Tarcoola ? )

> Tarcoola I am unsure of the safeworking, but it is all train orders out
there.

Tarcoola is signalled basically like the other loops, its just that one end
has a second set of stuff for the junction.

> : Areas that I dont know.
> : Spencer Jnct to Whyalla?
> : Crystal Brook to Broken Hill?

> ARTC - North Control I think.

> : Tarcoola to Alice Springs?

> Train orders from ARTC

> : Dry Creek to Pt Adelaide?

> ARTC - Metro Control

> : Stirling nth to Leigh Creek
> : Who mans the signal box at Stirling Nth (if it still exists.)

> I don't know.

AFAIK there is a tiny panel at Stirling North, which switches in when needed
to access the Power Station or the Branch.  Otherwise I suspect the sigs
just 'fleet'.  I beleive it's manned by a ASR 'shunter'.

Somewhere in Pt Augusta there must be another Panel for Spencer Jct.  Again
operated by ASR.

Stirling North to Leigh Creek is AFAIK actually now 'operated' by Freight
Corp (wot! no ordinary train staff!) with the dispatching (Train Orders)
outsourced to ARTC, and track maintenance to someone else (ABB?).

> : Its hard to keep track with all the changes.

Especially the ARTC. |-(

Are there any Sth Australian Safeworking Gunzels out there????

--
HXP1
(now with v6.08 software)