  signal_spotter@my-deja.com wrote:
> In article <390fba62$0$31504@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au>,
>   "Tom" <hammerheads@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> > hi there again
> > im still just learning some things.
> >
> > ok how does a home signal operate?
> > tom
> >

> Tom,
>
> A 'Home' signal is the first signal reached by a driver on approaching
> an interlocking area, and which actually affords the protection for
the
> junction, crossing, or other
risk.
 That statement isnt entirely correct. The first CONTROLLED signal
approaching an interlocking is the ACCEPT signal, identified by an oval
or rectangle name plate.
.  The signals reading from an
> interlocking into a single line (bidirectional line) are
> called 'Starting' signals and they give the driver authority to
proceed
> into the block (providing there are no other safeworking procedures to
> adhere to such as train staff).

A single line track is not technically Bi-directional. Itll either be
single line track block, or single line track control (on track
cicuited lines). Bi-directional is the name given to the type of
working known as DOUBLE LINE TRACK CONTROL. The term bi-directional is
like the word racist, many people overuse the word, and they do not
know its proper meaning. Some people call two way running or yard
working bi-directional, but that is all wrong. Bi-directional is this:
the section of track they use is double line, has signals facing both
directions on both lines, and also has X, Y and Z keys which are
provided at the country end of nominated platforms. Anything not
fitting that description is classified as a different system.
--
CityRail driver, and big fan of HO and 5", 71/4" guage trains.
My opinions are from myself and I do not represent any company, person,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.