Re: City Rail Who would buy it anyway ?

> There would be a set entry price for the railway [say $3.00] and you
> could go anywhere. It would not change for children, adults or
> pensioners, a set fee. This works in NYC. This would effectively
> wipe out ticket staff reducing costs greatly. Tickets would not be
> needed, only turnstyles for entry [put in CityRail coin, and walk
> through] and exit [just walk out].

I don't think this fare scheme is not appropriate for Sydney/Cityrail.
CityRail stands to lose a lot of money if they implement this system of
fares. You'd lose quite a few short distance passengers unwilling to
pay the additional fares (especially in the city zone where buses
would prove MUCH cheaper). You'd gain quite a few long distance
passengers but then the cost of running a train may not reflect the
amount collected in fares. So it would put a double edged sword through
CityRail's revenue.

As for ticket staff, you'd still need somebody to look after the gates
not to mention the huge capital expenditure to refit existing turnstyles
and install turnstyles at EVERY station.

So I'd disagree with you on the fare structure.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.