Re: [NSW] Numbers on Signals

"Hubert Lam" <hubert@imap4.com> writes:

>with rgds to signals in the suburban system, it has a code (M, S, L, I, IL etc etc...) plus the
>signal number (e.g. 56.3).

A note on signal numbers - in areas where there is now centralised control
(such as Sydney yard, Sydenham area, etc.) the signals numbers are exactly
that - numbers - which are sequentially allocated at the design phase.

In most other locations, signal numbers are actually a representation of the
*mileage* of the location from the zero marker (the concourse-end of
Platforms 1 to 10 at Sydney Terminal).

There are exceptions of course, and I'm sure other people will point them
out as this thread develops.

>what does the following stand for?

>NS
>IL

>From a bit of guesswork, M stands for Main
>S stands for Suburban
>L would probably be local.

Yes. The letters *after* a signal number in areas which have centralised
control and signals are numbered sequentially, and the letters *before* a
signal number in areas when don't have centralised control, signify the
route the signal is positioned on.

For example, the Cronulla line uses old-style numbering, and signals on the
branch line are prefixed with 'SC' (Sutherland - Cronulla). The main
Illawarra line has all the signals between Waterfall and Sydney prefixed
with 'I', except in the parts controlled from Sydenham which have SMxxxI or
SYxxxI numbers for Illawarra main lines and SMxxxIL/SYxxxIL for the Illawarra
Local (Hurstville to Central).

The line from Erskineville to Bondi Junction is actually called the
Illararra Relief to Central (and signals are pre- or postfixed with 'IR'), and the
Eastern Suburbs Line between Central and Bondi Junction (and signals are
pre- or postfixed with 'ES'). I don't quite know the reason behind the two
sections of this line having different names - must be something to do with
historical design decisions.

The City Circle actually has two codes also - CO for signals around the City
Outer loop from Central heading around via Town Hall, and CI for signals
around the City Inner loop from Central via Museum.

In areas which have centralised control, the letters before the signal
number indicate the place where the signals are controlled from. For
example, the Illawarra line from Waterfall to Dapto, as well as the branch
lines to Port Kembla, Port Kembla Inner Harbour, and Unanderra to Calwalla
(on the line to Moss Vale) all have signal numbers preceded by 'WG'.

There are exceptions to all of these. I don't know how the numbering is done
on the branch line between Maitland and Brisbane since Broadmeadow controls
most of that. Can someone tell us please?

Regards,

Craig.

--
            Craig Ian Dewick            |       Stand clear - jaws closing
 Send email to craigd@lios.apana.org.au |  Visit my Australian rail transport