Re: Wollongong station

Bradley Torr <btorr@bigpond.nospam.com> wrote in message
news:38df5e27@pink.one.net.au...
> Hi,
>
> At Wollongong station, I noticed something only someone as pedantic like
me
> would notice - the station name signs along the platform nearly all say
> "Wollongong City" instead of "Wollongong", even though in timetables and
on
> the official maps it's always just "Wollongong". Also, many of the seats
say
> "Wollongong"....
>
> Is there any reason why "Wollongong City" is used? And to be even more
> pedantic, every station between Helensburgh and Dapto and Port Kembla
could
> be called "Wollongong City", I mean, the City of Wollongong stretches
quite
> a long way down the coast...... "Wollongong CBD" or "Wollongong Central"
or
> "Wollongong Downtown" would be more appropriate, I feel, if you have to
say
> something more than just "Wollongong"....

* One of my suggestions (some would disagree on this) why they name
"Wollongong City" was used would be passenger confusion between North
Wollongong and the actual Wollongong station and the other suggestion would
be Wollongong Station is in the heart of Wollongong CBD.

My opinion on your alternatives to Wollongong City name (some would again
disagree on this):-
"Wollongong CBD" - the "CBD" section name may not appeal to some people.
"Wollongong Central" - the "Central" section name may be confused or
colluded with Crown Central Shopping Centre Wollongong.
"Wollongong Downtown" - I don't think people would go there to do shopping
or nightclubbing
in Wollongong City is the only reason , they have main offices & some
industrial areas nearby there too.

Speaking in the subject of North Wollongong station, I think they were going
to change the name from North Wollongong station to "University of
Wollongong" station in 1997 as they were putting a proposal on the name
change to the student passengers at North Wollongong, but at the end they
supplement "University of Wollongong" station name with existing North
Wollongong station name which I found it unnecessary and misleading because
then you have to walk another 20 minutes through the residential & parklands
until you reach the main uni grounds (having to cross the Northern
Distributor and F6 Freeway bridges). And don't forget the Illawarra TAFE,
Keira Boys High and Wollongong High Performing Arts students also use the
North Wollongong Station too. I don't know if the University of Wollongong
paid
for the name rights to the North Wollongong station - can anyone confirm? -
thanks.

> I also remember (around 1990) that the station name signs at Hurstville
said
> "City of Hurstville", but I'm guessing that went down like a lead balloon,
> because not much later they'd all been replaced with just
"Hurstville"......

> Any explanation for this?

* I think it was used in the publicity stunt from the Hurstville Council
from the name change (Hurstville Municipal to Hurstville City). I think it
was introduced during Hurstville Centenary Year 1987 (I think).

Hope this helps - Cheers.
Danny Mok
dan@flex.com.au
FordGhia's Railway & Transport Page