Re: Vic Rail Improvements ?

On Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:32:32 LOCAL, mdaly@pcug.org.au (Maurie Daly)
wrote:

>Projects include Mt Gambier, (I presume this means Heywood to Snuggery) and
>more interestingly the conversion of the existing BG line from Seymour to
>Benalla and Yarrawonga to SG.
>
>The above project seems to me a bit odd,in that whilst it makes sense to close
>the BG line to Wodonga / Albury ,provided you can run the pass & freight
>trains on SG,(which would be IMHO a good idea as it would allow NXP to run
>trains to Wagga from Melb on a daily basis) ,I cant see why you wouldnt just
>close the BG line north of Mangalore and run all the pass and goods trains on
>SG.

What has the best alignment, BG or SG? If the BG is closed, then is
there is an opportunity for the Seymour rail group to run BG as a
preserved line?

Other rail projects planned could render both current BG and SG
alignments obsolete in time anyway.

Les Brown
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to loose.