RE: [MELB] Pix of refurbished Yarra Tram and latest pic from Docklands

Dave McLaughlin asks me to elucidate why B2 class 2125 (in Yarra Trams new
colour scheme) was able to be parked in Collins Street because wouldnt that
block other trams ?

Well, Monday 13th March 2000 was the Labour Day public holiday in Melbourne.
As I said in the caption to the picture, Swanston Street was blocked for the
Moomba tramway procession and festivities - (for pix of that, see my Moomba
tram procession page).  What that meant was was that Swanston Street blocked
for normal tramway services between Latrobe Street and Flinders Street for
the procession, and later between Bourke Street and Flinders Street for the
festivities while the trams were parked in Swanston Street.  It also meant
that Bourke Street and Collins Street services were also blocked from
crossing Swanston Street during the procession and Collins Street services
continued to be blocked from crossing Swanston street durng the subsequent
festivities.   Hence, Yarra Trams obviously decided that they would have an
opportunity to show their newly refurbished trams to the 200,000 or so
people who were reported to have viewed the tramway procession by parking
them in Collins Street (not that I think they received as much attention as
the trams in Swanston street)

I was too busy photographing the trams in the festivities to take a whole
lot of detailed notice of what was happening to the cross street services -
however, I saw a West Preston tram in Latrobe Street.

Melbourne more generally that weekend saw lots of unusual tram services as a
result of the Grand Prix car racing event at Albert park - Swanston Street
and Spencer Street were full of B2 articulated trams with unusual
destinations like High Street or Grand Prix Gate 2, while Z3 cars made
appearances on services to Bundoora RMIT and North Coburg - sorry but I
didnt take any photos of these things !

Cheers,
Clive