Re: [Melb, Aust] More public transport upgrades

There has been a proper study which costed G.W at $85m and Huntingdale
at $100m. On this basis, PTUA supported the G.W option. When it emerged
that there was widespread public support for the rail line, the DOI
revised the cost estimate to $320m. This was done by deciding that
tunnelling was going to cost a lot more than expected on the basis of
two examples:

* Los Angeles, tunnelling through solid rock on the San Andreas fault
* Burnley Tunnel, through silt on the bed of the Yarra

A Melb Uni tunneling expert confirmed that the cost was grossly
inflated, and the tunnel was also longer than it needed to be.

There was also no re-examination of the Huntingdale option which
doesn't require much tunneling. The DOI person conceded under cross-
examination that it could be expected to still be $100m.

> I don't think so, the study (which is supposed to start early next
> year) is to determine whether the line should be built from Glen
> Waverley or Huntingdale, although it is unlikely that the Glen
> Waverley option will be supported unless the estimated cost is much
> less than the $320 million quoted by the previous government (without
> a proper study being undetaken, this figure was just pulled out of the
> air and used as a excuse to ignore any proposals for rail developments
> in this area).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.