Re: [NSW] Daily Terrorgraph 23/3/2000

"Gnome 412" <gnome412@hotmail.com> wrote in message rI9C4.54384$3b6.220011@ozemail.com.au">news:rI9C4.54384$3b6.220011@ozemail.com.au...
> from http://news.com.au today ...
>
> 23mar00
>
> CITYRAIL trains are moving 54,000 passengers a day more than they were five
> years ago in 123 fewer carriages.

yes of course, considering that "W", "U" and "F" sets are no longer in operation.

> The Daily Telegraph has discovered that overcrowding has worsened
> considerably on Sydney's trains ?especially during peak hours on inner city
> sections ?because of a shortage of rolling stock.

Not a shortage. Just that they're at Newcastle for refurbishments

> Each carriage on the network now carries almost 500 passengers a day on
> average, compared to just over 400 in 1995.

isn't that more economically efficient??

>snip<

> In other developments revealed yesterday:
>
> A check of more than 100 trains by The Daily Telegraph found barely a fifth
> were running on time.

What trains? Where to??? Are they saying if it didn't arrive in 2 seconds of timetable then it's
late?

> The Australian Services Union said nearly 300 complaints were being made
> about train services daily.
>
> Transport Minister Carl Scully said CityRail should do better. "I am
> disappointed with the performance of CityRail," the minister said.

he should follow Brian Langton and get on trains himself.

> snip<

> An investigation by The Daily Telegraph has found there were 1503 passenger
> carriages on the CityRail network on June 30 last year carrying 741,000
> passengers a day, an average of 493 passengers for each carriage.

Aren't there 1080 suburban cars and 240 V set cars? That makes 1280 cars not 1503.
It's also 741000 trips made per day, from 5am to 1am the next morning, not bloody one quarter of
Sydney's population getting on trains all at the peak time!

> In 1995, however, there were 1676 carriages carrying 683,561 passengers a
> day, an average of 408 passengers for each carriage.

Again they can't add up. I doubt there were 123 "U" set carriages.

> By comparison Indian Railways, notorious for overcrowding, carries 11
> million passengers a day in 39,104 carriages, an average of just 281
> passengers for each carriage.

yes but how many actually pay for their journey and how comfortable is it???

> snip<

> State Rail said there had been a fresh surge in passenger numbers in recent
> months that could only worsen overcrowding problems.
>
> There is no solution in sight in the short term to the shortage, despite the
> added pressures of the new airport line and the Olympics.
>
> Only when the first batch of 81 Millennium trains is delivered in May next
> year will there be an improvement. These trains, when first announced by
> former Transport Minister Brian Langton, were due to be in service this
> year.

Wasn't it 80 carriages as reported earlier in this NG?