Re: [Melb] Reprogrammed Destinations on Z1/Z2 trams

 David McLoughlin of  Auckland New Zealand is asking:

> The Toorak Glenferrie Rd terminus is in a bust traffic stream and does
> need some help. I just asked, has it been extended to the Malvern Depot
> and if so why?

Chris Gordon's answer is correct; Glenhuntly and Malvern depots have had a
long history of running transfer cars to and from the depot to "take" crews
out for meal break or "transfer". This is what they are officially called by
the Depot Starter. A transfer car will go and "take" the run. Malvern and
Glenhuntly both used to have dedicated transfer cars that used to run to
Balaclava Junction, ( and other shunts) do a quick shunt, and then the
"taken" crew would run the transfer car home. The same car would run that
duty all night long, and I can recall transfer cars being held in Coldblo Rd
Malvern between the sheds for that purpose.

As far as the record goes, Route 8 will only ever terminate at Glenferrie
Rd. Any movement of an 8 down Glenferrie Road is either a Run out or a Run
in. Not officially part of the timetable or the route.

I think Malvern Town Hall was the Official destination for Malvern Depot for
many a year but I have not seen it for some time.

Museum Station appeared on the W Class destination rolls some years ago. Was
it ever used?
If so, which Route used it? (Old Lonsdale St Shunt, I suppose)

Chris Parnell