Re: Steam speed in Australia

No speed details for the SOP delivery run to Sydney, but can vouch for
broken crockery in the Victorian buffet car which was on the rear of the
train.  The Victorian car was not fitted with the standard crockery
restraints fitted to the NSW cars, one of which was marshalled towards the
centre of the train.  Perhaps the Vic buffet cars did not need them when
running on the less curvaceous track in Victoria.  And this was the stored
crockery, not that in use by the eating passengers, some of whom had lunch
in their laps.

The train averaged 62 mph for the 50 miles from Table Top to The Rock, a
section which is not straight and level and includes some grades as steep as
1 in 80.

Departure from Goulburn was 28 minutes late and the 117 miles to Liverpool
took only 134 minutes including a 5 minute stop at Moss Vale. The train was
more than halfway through the level crossing just south of Campbelltown
before the gates were fully down and we certainly raised the dust through
the station! Arrival at Liverpool was 4 minutes early.

The father waiting at Central for a friend of mine on the train stated they
were announcing regular updates on the train's picking up lost time over the
station's train announcement system. Apparently it was causing quite a bit
of excitement. And the atmosphere on the train was unbelievable!!

Bob Merchant
Passenger on SOP delivery run
15 April 1962.

__RA4.51460$3b6.210446@ozemail.com.au">news:__RA4.51460$3b6.210446@ozemail.com.au...