Re: [Sydney, Cityrail] Friday 17 March Chaos

On 16 Mar 2000 22:55:15 GMT, matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au (Matthew Geier)
wrote:

>In article <8aqdcn$l7d$1@bugstomper.ihug.com.au>,
>Peter R K <peterrk@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>I really don't know where you get the idea that the Queen will be at Stadium
>>Australia on Friday. She doesn't arrive until Friday evening. However, her
>>Australian representative, the Governor-General of the Commonwealth of
>>Australia, His Excellency Sir William Deane will be attending - and he is a
>>Catholic.
>
> Besides, the Queen is the head of the wrong church....
>
> Once apon a time (not all that long ago) Catholics couldn't hold goverment
>positions in Britian. If those laws were still on the books, Sir William Deane
>wouldn't have been accepted for the job I expect.

That hasn't been the case in Australia for a long time, at least since
Federation. Two Jews have been GG long before Sir William Deane.

Australia's first Australian born Governor-General was a Jew - Isaac
Isaacs and that was from 1931-1936. There was an objection by King
George V to his appointment, but not because he was a Jew, but because
he wasn't British. Now if a Jew could become GG, there would certainly
be no problems for a Roman Catholic.

Les Brown
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to loose.