Re: Status of Keswick Station in Adelaide

In article <mdaly.379.00AE6A2F@pcug.org.au>,
mdaly@pcug.org.au (Maurie Daly) wrote:
> Since it seems that a SG platform is not going to be built at
Adelaide Station
> , what happens if a competitor to GSR wants to run trains to Adelaide?
Not sure if anyone is brave enough to run long distance passenger
trains in Australia:-)

It cost 20 millions to built SG into North Terrance , the new operator
has to pay the bill, look for a yard. Apart from that the new operator
has to face VERY strong competition from air/coach. Rail safari type
like GSPE cost too much to operate and fare level would be high.

Once of the reason GSR doesn't want to move is because of Keswick has
cleaning/maintanence/fuel facilities as well as the carriage yard is
there. If terminal move to North Terrance everything has to build from
scratch. Finding path between TransAdelaide service is also a problem.

> For example if GSR abandon the Overland altogther and someone else
picks it up.
> Can GSR refuse to let a competitor use Keswick?
Does GSR owns Keswick station? or ARTC? If GSR doesn't own Keswick then
GSR have to share with competitor/s. According to RD Keswick will be
develop into Long distance coach/rail intermodal terminal, SA's current
coach terminal is far too old and expensive to upgrade, therefore SA
transport minister wants to move it to Keswick along with impreove bus
connection(Why not trains?) to the city. Coachlines, in some ways are
competitors to GSR aren't they?

> Can the SA govt determine who can use Keswick.?
Do SA government have a share in Keswick station ownership?? I think SA
government trys to develop the Keswick station are into more user
freindly and easy access. Maybe improving the parks nearby to become a
tourist attraction, bring people into Keswick rather then  a concrete
building in the middle of no where.

> Indeed since GSR has taken over Keswick , have there been other non
GSR trains
> using the station.
No, I heard of TransAdelaide trains have some kind of signal difference
needs to overcome to be able to run into the Keswick station platform.

--
Cheers
James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/