Re: [VIC] Melbourne Moomba tramway parade pix

james_ccj@my-deja.com won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:
> In article <38cee39c@news.iprolink.co.nz>,
> David McLoughlin <davemcl@AXE*THISiprolink.co.nz> wrote:

> lots
> > > >

> > > But they are unmodified trams that would need a conductor....so you
> > > will never see it...
> >
> > I thought conductors were to be reinstated anyway because of the huge
> > fare evasion?
> Temporaly put aside due to Transport minister Peter Bachelor have to
> sort out the Citylink mess left by Jeff as well as high-speed country
> train reports, tram/train order problem, Met card(yawn!!)problem .

> It is part of the government commitment to bring back conductor but due
> to the mess, I say the chance to reintroduce condutors is high but may
> or may not happen so soon.

Metcard was supposed to save money. Add up the cost of introducing
Metcard, including all the machines, barriers and the acknowledged revenue
lost through fare evasion, and the payout packages for all the sacked
station staff and conductors. That cost could have paid the salaries of
the sacked staff for the next 30 years!

Cheers
David