Re: [VIC]yet more talk, re:country pass. re-opening

>> I would guess that Freight Australia will not be much interested in
>> upgrading this line to even 80kph for Pass operations.
>No they won't it's the government's promise to open the line. Some of
>the MP got elected because they promise to bring back the train, just
>like NSW's Broken Hill/Griffith service.
>
>But FA would be benifit with better track condition and hence more fuel
>efficiency for its locos and faster turn around time, just like QR's
>main line upgrade.
>
>> One way would be to do think about the Swan Hill connection?
>A source suggested this option is too expensive.
>
>By the way I think the study for reviewing country passenger service
>(Both governemnt and NX report) is already completed.
It should have been, but it seems more delays (a la Yes Minister) as can be
seen in the following press release saying that a committee has been formed
to assess viability of Mildura service:
http://www.dpc.vic.gov.au/domino/web_notes/newmedia.nsf/366feaa87308bebf4a25
6811007f839b/e41833f1ff2e46144a25689d007c4a17?OpenDocument

FROM THE MINISTER FOR TRANSPORT

DATE: Thursday, March 9, 2000

MINISTER ANNOUNCES MILDURA PASSENGER RAIL SERVICE
REVIEW
The Minister for Transport, Mr Peter Batchelor, today announced that a
Community Reference Group
has been formed to help the Bracks Government investigate options for
re-opening a passenger train
service from Melbourne to Mildura.