Re: CityRail (NSW) Where is set V69

>snip<

> > Tangaras are a nice train to ride on. In summer, I would prefer to ride
on
> > one of them, or an aircon K set (my favourite *suburban* - V sets are my
> > favourite NSW spark). As an interurban set, I don't really like the G
set,
> > simply because it looks and feels cheap. When you compare that with a V
> > set, it's cheese and chalk.
> >
> > Some faults I've found with Tangaras:
> >
> > * Windows you can't see out of - windows either fog up, or collect crap
> > between the two layers.

especially older cars (D6101-D617x). D6107 i think even has water inside the
doors and you could see how it wobbles around :-)

> > * Some sets are noisy when train is taking off or stopping. A G set that
> > got on, the creaks and groans were disgusting, for supposed new
> technology.
> > * Poorly maintained airconditioning. Also a pet hate of mine in
Melbourne.
> > Usually involves boarding an end car, and walking throughout the set to
> > find the coolest car (or the car that has working aircon, if it's really
> > that bad). Note: Last night, looking over the footbridge at ivanhoe,
there
> > was a flat possum on one of the airconditioning air inlets. Now I know
why
> > some carriages smell.
> > * Vinyl seats in set T29 :)
>
> **Vinyl seats in set T29 does remind me of the C-sets - is it feasible to
> replace the current fixed seats into reversable seats in T-set Tangaras?

You mean G sets? No, because it requires an additional support beam inside
the "window footrest". Cost too much. hmm...what number are the cars of T29?
must have a ride in it when i eventually find it roaming around somewhere
:-)

> **About the creaks and groans, it happen on the Tangara T-sets as well as
> the G-sets - any idea where the problem coming from??? Is it related to
the
> fatigue of the bogies (as publicised over the years)???

Such "groans" are the result of the motor cars (N5XXX) pulling and pushing
on the driving trailers (D6XXX). aren't they "semi-permanently" coupled as 2
cars? you'll find in newer cars (D620x/OD68xx) that acceleration is
relatively uniform. But when the motor gets old, the acceleration makes the
cars jolt.