Re: CityRail (NSW) Where is set V69

DTS said in message <8adn5c$o7j$1@the-fly.zip.com.au>, I therefore quote:

>I didn't say I hate the V-sets completely, they are very good trains to
>travel on especially the newer seats (new green vinyl). I don't like the
>old orange (part-cloth) seats because it becomes dirty easily.

They are still the same seats. Something I saw confirmed the fact that all
they did to the seats was paint the vinyl with that "Goninan Universal Go-
Over-Everything" paint. Though I'd risk to say that the seats were only
repainted, to save re-upholstering the whole seat in the event that they
remove the fabric from the middle of them. (bright new vinyl would look
pretty odd with old darker orange vinyl).

>I wish
>the doors on the V-sets can be opened automatically rather than I have
>to turn the handle to open.

Whinge whinge whinge (: Come down to Melbourne for a day or two. At least
on the V sets if the driver unlocks the door before the train you come to a
stop, you can turn the handle and let the momentum do the rest (: We have
to open our doors manually, and when you get on an unrefurbished Hitachi,
even I find it hard to open the door sometimes (and I'm quite strong too).

>And the some of the V-set looks odd - bit of
>an eyesore to me (converted trailer front look facing the middle normal
>trailers) when the driving motors are converted to trailers. (Remember -
>all are my opinion only as some will disagree with me on here and that).

I agree with the el-cheapo conversions. We have Hitachis like that down in
Melbourne. Except, when they blocked a D cab down here, they generally
painted the window with some grey paint to stop people looking through it.
The cabs were completely stripped of equipment. Though, many of the Hitachi
D cars were converted into standard T cars (plus or minus a couple of seats
to compensate for the length difference) by chopping the end off and
welding a brand new one on. You can see this on a lot of Hitachi T cars, I
think numbering from 1950T upwards.

>As I said before Tangara has problems here and there like fogging
>windows - same with V-sets, fixed cloth seats which are hard & dirty
>easily (T-sets only) and doors don't close properly or open properly
>especially in the middle between carriages which irritates me. The
>Tangaras are one of my favourite trains because I like the modern look -
>my opinion.

Tangaras are a nice train to ride on. In summer, I would prefer to ride on
one of them, or an aircon K set (my favourite *suburban* - V sets are my
favourite NSW spark). As an interurban set, I don't really like the G set,
simply because it looks and feels cheap. When you compare that with a V
set, it's cheese and chalk.

Some faults I've found with Tangaras:

* Windows you can't see out of - windows either fog up, or collect crap
between the two layers.
* Some sets are noisy when train is taking off or stopping. A G set that I
got on, the creaks and groans were disgusting, for supposed new technology.
* Poorly maintained airconditioning. Also a pet hate of mine in Melbourne.
Usually involves boarding an end car, and walking throughout the set to
find the coolest car (or the car that has working aircon, if it's really
that bad). Note: Last night, looking over the footbridge at ivanhoe, there
was a flat possum on one of the airconditioning air inlets. Now I know why
some carriages smell.
* Vinyl seats in set T29 (:

>Please name the design or mechanical problems you think the Tangara has
>problems with??? ie. fogging windows etc.

Regards

Michael

--
Michael Kurkowski
Email: mk@netstra.com.au

Children in the back seat cause accidents.
Accidents in the back seat cause children.