Re: Fuel efficiencies of 422s

In article <38CA1DF8.2D77CC75@ozemail.com.au> David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au> writes:
>Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 21:20:40 +1100
>From: David Johnson <trainman@ozemail.com.au>
>Subject: Re: Fuel efficiencies of 422s

>Maurie Daly wrote:

>> Sometime ago there was a thread about the 422s inability to get from Broken
>> Hill to Sydney on a full tank of fuel and thats why two had to be used.
>> In researching another question on this group I got to realise that there is
>> something horribly wrong here.
>> 422s hold 5455 litres and Sydney to BH is 1100 km.
>> With only say 4 carriages , ie 3 pass cars and power van we have a total
>> trailing load of 200 tonnes so in order to use a full tank of fuel the 422
>> must be using around 25 litres per trailing 1000 tonnes/km , an unbelievably
>> bad figure.

>You forget that a 422 can't get from Sydney to Broken Hill AND BACK.  That is why
>there are two.  They do not refuel in Broken Hill.

>--
>David Johnson
>trainman@ozemail.com.au
>http://www.ozemail.com.au/~trainman/
>------------------------------------
>These comments are made in a private
>capacity and do not represent the
>official view of State Rail.
>C.O.W.S. Page 11.

The obvious question is why not.
BH has a full loco depot with refuelling facilities.
Even if Freightcorp wont let them use it , you could still refuel from a
roadside tanker as Countrylink did for many years with the Melb XPT at spencer
St.
Carrying a 2nd 422 all the way simply as an extra fuel tank is economic lunacy.
The fares alone for this route woudnt even pay the fuel bill.

MD