Re: Railway simulations

There are two EXCELLENT freeware/shareware rail sims out there. The first is
Mechanik. it is a dos based cab-view simulator with oustanding characteristics
of loco braking, acceleration, and real scenery. search for a site called the
'Locomotive Cab' to download; I've forgotten the URL. A Win version was under
way, using directx, but the author got conscripted into the army and so work on
that has been suspended. I highly recommend that you also download the
Australian "Pilot HN" route, and its scenery upgrade, with telegraph poles
replacing the catenary, NR locos, [what look like] Tangaras, gum trees and much
more. A must-download.

The other is called Bahn. Goto http://www.jbss.de , then click on the word
"English" in the upper left hand corner to download. This is a simulator
(similar to games like Sim City 2000) where you can lay tracks and run trains,
but you can also lay buildings, signal systems, points, complex junctions etc.
Its one of the most flexible simulators i know. You can also set a manual
follow mode, where you can run a train and tell it where to go at each turnout,
and you can also make it fully automated. Currently I am working on a complete
working model of the Sydney system, with disused lines such as Ropes
Creek/Botany/Kurrajong-Richmond. Bahn is a little challenging to learn at
first, but once mastered, is extremely rewarding. WARNING: Bahn is quite
addictive!!!