Re: Fuel efficiencies of 422s

My understanding is that the use of the 422s is to do with what Countrylink can
lease/hire for the best price. The hiring of 81 class is far more expensive as
they would be considered front line units with Freightcorp. Bottom line is if
you can get 2x 422s for less than a single 81, then why not. Also they have to
use the 422s on the Griffith service as the 81s would have a severe speed
restriction on that line due to the higher axle loading.
Cheers
Bob