Re: VR X Class

"Lambing Flat" <bullack@cia.com.au> wrote in message
38C8B0D0.FA59AE30@cia.com.au">news:38C8B0D0.FA59AE30@cia.com.au...
> Can some-one please enlighten this ignorant steam era NSWGR
> and Tasmanian modeller as to what the differences are
> between a 1st, 2nd and 3rd series Victorian Railways X
> class.
>
> --
> DPC James McInerney
>
> STOP!  In The Name Of The Lore!
>
> At http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/ , "Lambing Flat's"
> mainpage for the HO model and NSWGR information.
> Or http://www.cia.com.au/bullack/rvrtitle.html  for the
> "Rurr Valley Railway", my G gauge garden line

Hi. I hope this is of help to you

The first of the X class diesel's came into service in 1966 and the last one
built in 1975
The first series X 31 to X36 were built with 567 prime movers and main
generator producing DC current to the traction motors. Rated at 1800 HP.
These were distinct in having a narrow horizontal intake for the radiators
and fans on the long hood end of the loco. As far as I know, only a handful
remain in service.
The second series are X 37 to X 44. Very similar to the first except they
were up rated to the 645 prime mover,still coupled to the main generator.
Gave an effective 2000 HP rating. Very much the same as the first series in
appearance except a wider air intake for the radiators and fans at the long
hood end. Both the first and second series X's were built for Bi directional
travel with the use of one control stand. It was the case of just swinging
the seat around for the direction of travel.
the third series X45 to X 54 Differed significantly in the case of fitting
of the 645 prime mover coupled to a Traction Alternator producing AC
current, rectified to DC for use to the traction motors. This gave an
overall HP output of 2200. Very much the same in appearance to the second
series X except a redesigned cab so that the loco was only allowed to travel
short end forward for normal service. The control stand also reflected this
too where all the levers, gauges and switches were in front of the driver.

I hope this is surfice.

Cheers Lloyd