Re: Rail vs. Road Costs

In article <38c77066_2@news.chariot.net.au> "Taliesin Walker" <taliesin@chariot.net.au> writes:
>From: "Taliesin Walker" <taliesin@chariot.net.au>
>Subject: Re: Rail vs. Road Costs
>Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 19:58:53 +0930

>Maurie Daly <mdaly@pcug.org.au> wrote in message
>> In article <38c5cca6_1@news.chariot.net.au> "Taliesin Walker"
><taliesin@chariot.net.au> writes:
>> >From: "Taliesin Walker" <taliesin@chariot.net.au>
>> >Subject: Rail vs. Road Costs
>> >Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:08:14 +0930
>>
>> >Hi
>>
>> >Could someone give me an idea of the labour and fuel costs associated
>with
>> >carrying freight on rail vs. road?
>>
>> >Tali
>>

>> Can you be a bit more specific about exactly where you want to carry the
>> freight to and from.
>> Your above question is too vague to answer  with any accuracy.
>>
>> MD
>>

>Say, Adelaid - Melbourne?

National Rail charge round 2.87 c /ntk for Melb - Adelaide freight.
Fuel usage varies from 3 litres / 1000 trailing tonne km on the flat to around
10 litres / 1000 trailing tonne km going thru the Adelaide hills.
Irs worth noting that at 2.87 c /ntk NRC are not making any money.
B double trucks achieve freight rates of between 3 to 3.5 c /ntk and use
around 45 to 50 litres / 100 km for a fully loaded truck.
There is very little in it , given that the trucks can deliver door to door in
a lot of cases.
Rail transport is stifled by the track access charges which have to be paid
for each and every train whereas road transport doesnt have to pay an
equivalent.

MD